American singer Britney Jean Spears was born on December 2, 1981.
- She is frequently referred to as the “Princess of Pop” and is known for having an important effect on the return of young music in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Spears is one of the best-selling musicians in the world, with over 100 million albums sold globally, including over 70 million in the US.
- In addition to a Grammy Award, 15 World Records from Guinness, six MTV Video Music Awards, seven Billboard Music Awards (including the Millennium Award), the first-ever Radio Disney Icon Award, and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, she has received other awards and honors. She won the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award for her highly planned videos.
Britney’s most iconic outfits
It probably goes without saying that she has also given certain people some looks throughout the years. But Britney has always had a unique sense of style. Whether it’s her love affair with the fedora, her love for Juicy Couture, or her stunning stage outfits, she conveys a free and casual attitude to dressing. Here, we take a look back at some of Britney Spears’ iconic clothes in celebration of the 20 years since she wore a real snake over her shoulders at the MTV VMAs.
The 2000 video “Oops!… I Did It Again”
Again working with filmmaker Nigel Dick, Britney also came up with the idea for the “Oops!” music video and the red catsuit, which has grown into one of the star’s iconic looks. The catsuit was made at the last minute by costume designer Michael Bush, who was also working on Britney’s tour clothes at the time. Bush made the red rubber treat the night before the video shoot. The space-themed music video was also appropriate given that Britney’s star power was set to soar. Also titled Oops!, her second album…
- I Did It Again broke Britney Spears’ record for the biggest debut-week album sales by a female artist, which she had held for 15 years up to Adele’s release of 25, selling 1.39 million copies in its first week in the US.
2001 performance at the MTV VMAs
At the beginning of “I’m A Slave 4 U,” Britney sings over steamy rhythms, “I know I may be young, but I’ve got feelings too. And I have to follow my feelings. That in this case was dancing on stage at the 2001 MTV VMAs while wearing an albino Burmese python named Banana around her neck. It’s perhaps the photograph of Britney that most captures her personality and her role as pop culture’s leading troublemaker.
- It also marked a change from less harmful, teen-oriented pop images to something more mature and openly sexual. Britney was still young, but she was no longer a child; at the age of 20, she had already entered the adult world. The small blue shorts and green bralette that emphasized Britney’s speed and the scorching hot dance were far more stylish than the previously disputed exposed navel and schoolgirl outfit. MTV has been making a meal of it for the past 20 years since it was such an iconic event.
2001’s American Music Awards
Not only is Britney’s “I’m a Slave 4 U” snake performance 20 years old, but it’s also been 20 years since she and her ex-boyfriend Justin Timberlake showed up at the American Music Awards wearing identical jeans. The double denim was Britney’s idea, as were many of her beloved outfits. Kurt and Bart, who worked on Britney’s fabric team, while Steven Gerstein designed Justin’s denim suit. The appearance is so well-known that Katy Perry and Riff Raff reproduced it during the 2014 MTV VMAs, and couples frequently dress up like it for Halloween.
Even though Justin and Britney would break up a year later, this look would forever record their union in the hall of fame of popular culture.
At the 2002 MTV VMAs
Britney went through a bit of change in 2002. She launched her third album in 2001, making it three albums in three years. In 2002, she appeared in Crossroads, her first feature film, and went on tour. But as soon as it was revealed that she had broken up with her longtime boyfriend, fellow pop star Justin Timberlake, her private life was about to become very public. They were together throughout Britney’s rapid journey to pop importance, but because of rum ours of cheating and Justin’s criticism of her in the media and in his music videos, Britney was cast in a negative light.
- This may help to explain the leather outfit Britney wore to the 2002 MTV VMAs; in keeping with the media narrative, she may have gone for a more gloomy appearance that wouldn’t have looked out of place at Folsom Street Fair. Despite being dressed out in lace and leather, BDSMney is not engaging.
2002: Purchasing Starbucks in London
There isn’t much to say about this outfit other than the fact that it has been a mood for 19 years. You can’t walk on Etsy without running into replicas of this classic t-shirt, which continues to affect fashion today, inspiring stars like Miley Cyrus and artist Florence Given. Dump him if Britney advises to, then you should.
2009 performance in New Orleans
Even though she has worn other famous outfits (such as a wedding dress at the 2003 VMAs when she kissed Madonna and the Juicy Couture bridal party look in 2004 to name just two), the moment when Britney came down from the ceiling dressed as the leader of the band at the start of The Circus Tour may be the most appropriate.
- This picture shows Britney restoring her pop music empire after her well known problems in 2007 and 2008; her sixth album, 2008’s Circus, landed at Number One on the Billboard chart, and its lead single, “Womanizer,” was Britney’s first US Number One song since “…Baby One More Time.”
- Of course, we now know that things weren’t always as perfect after Britney’s stunning statement during the recent hearings involving her ongoing custody dispute with her father. Britney is once again prepared to influence pop music, yet there is a power to her outfit, much like with the snake’s representation. There are only two kinds of people in the world: entertainers and observers, she sings in the first line of “Circus.” Regarding Britney Spears’ legacy, there is no question.
Britney Spears has given us classics like “Oops I Did It Again” and “Lucky,” a song that caused a lot of screaming in my bedroom as a youngster. Not to be forgotten is her historic (to me) Crossroads Hollywood film. Britney is responsible for a lot of fantastic things, after all. Despite all of Brit’s artistic talent, her famous design choices don’t always make for the most interesting conversation. That could have to be altered. We’ve received glittery costumes from Britney as well as some more relaxed, stylish ensembles. Her range is amazing. Yes, I’m talking about her singing, but ALSO the clothes.